Motorsport

Schumacher welcomes Bahrain F1 Grand Prix being called off

Record world champion Michael Schumacher on Tuesday welcomed the decision to call off the season-opening Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix in the wake of anti-government protests in the Gulf kingdom.

“Like many other Formula One colleagues I consider it a good decision to call off the competition inBahrain. The people there have more pressing issues than Formula One, and those have priority,” the Mercedes driver Schumacher said in a statement on his website.

The race scheduled for March 13 in Sakhir was called off on Monday by local authorities. The move was welcomed by the F1 community. The season will now start on March 27 in Australia. The Bahrain race may take place later in the season as the ruling motorsport body FIA said on Monday it was “postponed.” The Bahrain Grand Prix has featured on the F1 calendar every year since 2004 and was the season-opener in 2006 and 2010.

This year’s race had been in doubt as thousands of anti-government protesters continued to gather in Manama’s Lulu Square, which has become the main focus of demonstrations in the country since February 14. At least four people have been killed in the protests.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Related Topics
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 29, 2020 6:51:38 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/sport/motorsport/Schumacher-welcomes-Bahrain-F1-Grand-Prix-being-called-off/article15454783.ece

Next Story