Sport

Kento Momota faces two months out after a fatal car crash

Kento Momota. File

Kento Momota. File   | Photo Credit: AFP

The 25-year-old Japanese shuttler, suffered cuts and bruising in the accident near Kuala Lumpur, but is aiming to return at the All England Championships on March 11

Badminton world No.1 Kento Momota could be out for two months after being injured in a car crash that killed his driver just hours after he won the Malaysia Masters on Sunday.

The 25-year-old Japanese shuttler, suffered cuts and bruising in the accident near Kuala Lumpur, but is aiming to return at the All England Championships on March 11, said Kinji Zeniya, secretary general of Japan’s Badminton Association on Tuesday.

Zeniya told reporters that Momota, who had won a record of 11 titles last year had extraordinary enthusiasm towards the Olympics this year in Tokyo, but urged Japan’s home gold medal hope to take time to recuperate fully.

“I hope he will do his best without pushing and rushing himself too hard and without being impatient,” said Zeniya.

Momota has been in hospital since Monday following the crash with a slow-moving lorry while driving to the airport.

Also read: Badminton champion Kento Momota injured in Malaysia accident, driver killed

The driver was killed at the scene while Momota received cuts to his face and bruising all over his body, Zeniya said, denying previous reports that he had broken his nose and chin.

An assistant coach, physiotherapist, and badminton official were also injured. Momota will return to Japan on Wednesday and would receive further medical checks.

“Cuts will be healed, but what will happen to the bruising later? I know injuries from car accidents can emerge after some time,” said Zeniya.

The accident came after the dominant Japanese star began his 2020 season in style with victory over Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen in Kuala Lumpur.

Momota enjoyed unrivalled success in 2019, winning a record of 11 titles including the World Championships, Asia Championships and All England Championships, a dramatic turnaround for a player who had been banned for gambling in 2016.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 30, 2020 4:38:29 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/sport/kento-momota-faces-two-months-out-after-a-fatal-car-crash/article30566409.ece

Next Story