Formula One

Coronavirus | Turkish Grand Prix called off

The Turkish Grand Prix scheduled for next month was called off on Friday because of coronavirus travel restrictions and will be replaced by a second Formula One race in Austria.

Travel restrictions in several countries where teams are based forced F1 organisers to take the June 13 race out of Istanbul.

Instead, the French GP will move forward by one week to June 20 and Austria will get a second race — just like it did last year. The Styrian GP on June 27 will be followed by the Austrian GP on July 4, with both races at the Red Bull Ring track in Spielberg.

“I want to thank the promoter and authorities in Turkey for all of their efforts in recent weeks and want to thank the promoters in France and Austria for their speed, flexibility and enthusiasm,” F1 president Stefano Domenicali said.

French GP spectators can use their original tickets or get a refund.

“We understand that this modification has an impact on our fans and our (commercial) partners and we’re sorry for that,” race director Eric Boullier said.


Our code of editorial values

Related Topics
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 23, 2021 6:06:24 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/sport/formula-one/coronavirus-turkish-grand-prix-called-off/article34561531.ece

Next Story