QnA Health

‘Should I be taking insulin injections?’

African-american girl suffering from abdominal pain, sitting on bed at home  

Over the years my diabetes medicines have increased. Should I be taking insulin injections instead?

You have not mentioned what your blood sugar values are or what your glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) reading is. If your HbA1c is near 7%, then the tablets can be continued. If trial of all the tablets have been failed or if your insulin level in the body has come down significantly or if your sugars and HbA1c levels are high, if there is any risk of complications, then insulin injections can be considered. Your doctor would be the best if insulin is needed or not. Since I have not seen any of your records, I will not be able to suggest any individual treatment. It all depends on the level of diabetic control and also whether there are changes in any other part of the body.

I have been diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. Is it curable? How much time will it take to recover?

Ans:Acute pancreatitis as the name suggests, is an ‘acute’ condition. There is usually severe abdominal pain which is referred to the back along with the inflammation of the pancreas. In many people it occurs only once and may not occur again. The usual causes of acute pancreatitis are gallstones, very high triglyceride levels in the blood (hypertriglyceridemia), excess alcohol intake and possibly certain medicines. It is usually curable and the symptoms normally subside in a few days time after treatment. However in some people, it tends to recur and this is called as ‘acute relapsing pancreatitis’. You should consult a physicians or gastroenterologist who will be able to help you to advise you regarding the treatment.  

Dr V Mohan is a diabetologist based in Chennai, who heads a WHO Collaborating Center for Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases and an International Diabetes Federation Center of Education.

Nothing in this column is intended to be, and is not, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please seek independent advice from a licensed practitioner if you have any questions regarding a medical condition. Email us with your questions at mp_health@thehindu.co.in

Related Topics
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 5, 2021 3:05:55 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/dr-v-mohan-answers-readers-questions-related-to-diabetes/article28319608.ece

Next Story