Legal eagle Real Estate

Where’s the original document?

In our apartment complex there are eight units owned by eight individuals. A ninth document was registered in September 1991 without the knowledge of the eight owners. Now that person has agreed to transfer his portion of UDS for a consideration. But he claims that he had lost the original document. Under these circumstances, please guide us to complete the transfer and registration of the UDS without any legal issue cropping up in the future.

— M. Ramesh, Chennai

A certified copy of the original can be obtained from the office of the sub-registrar. Necessary public notices in widely circulated newspapers and a complaint to police can be made about the loss of original document. If there are no claims in response to the said public notices, there will be no impediment in dealing with the said property thereafter.

Our code of editorial values

  1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
  2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
  3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters, or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text. (example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not 'the', n is not 'and').
  4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
  5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.

Printable version | May 13, 2022 3:42:59 pm |