The Union government on Thursday issued a stern warning, saying leaders of both Bodo and minority communities in Assam would be held responsible if any side was found to be instigating violence that had claimed over 40 lives so far.
“The Centre and the State government are clear that any violence on any side that is instigated and that results in loss of life, leaders on both sides shall be made responsible,” Union Home Secretary R.K. Singh told journalists here.
Clashes between Bodos and minority immigrants in four districts started a week ago, resulting in loss of lives and thousands fleeing from their homes and taking shelter in relief camps.
Mr. Singh said the situation was better as no incident was reported during the day. He said the aim of the government was to provide help to the affected people in camps.
Approximately, 1.71 lakh people were displaced in the ethnic violence.
The Home Secretary noted that 4,200 paramilitary personnel had reached Assam to help the local administration in maintaining peace and restoring normality, while 2,200 more would reach the State soon.