Two held in Haryana gang-rape cases

The Haryana police on Wednesday claimed to have arrested 11 persons for their alleged involvement in two different incidents of gang rape in Hisar and Jind districts this month. While investigations were on, the authorities have requested a special fast track court for speedy disposal of the cases.

As the State apparatus went into an overdrive to convey the statement of the Haryana Police chief, Ranjiv Singh Dalal about the arrest of nine persons who were booked for assaulting a teenaged dalit girl in Hisar district, the media brought to the fore another incident, where a 30-year-old married woman was raped at gunpoint by three men in Jind district. This prompted another release from the government that while two persons had been arrested, the police were on the look for the third.

A statement quoting Mr. Dalal said that in the Hisar case the police had arrested two persons from Almoda district of UP, along with three main accused including Vikas, Rajkumar and Pawan, against whom an FIR had been registered. Two more persons had also been arrested for sheltering the culprits.

Mr. Dalal said that of the two persons arrested earlier, Baljeet alias Sittu, had been remanded into police custody till September 29. The Superintendent of Police of Hisar had also been directed to approach the District and Sessions judge with a request to constitute a fast-track court to ensure that case was settled within three months.

Through a separate release, the SP of Jind, Sourabh Singh claimed that the police had arrested two of the three persons, who were accused of raping a married woman in Jind, while Sandeep Singh was still at large. The arrested included Sandeep's father, Azad Singh and another accomplice Suraj. Their interrogation was on till reports last came in.

The incident came under the media spotlight, when the victim along with her husband on Wednesday threatened to commit suicide in front of the SP's office, as the police had not proceeded on her complaint. She had alleged that three men had forced themselves on her at gun point in her house last Friday. Though she had made a complaint to the police the same day, no action was initiated against the accused, who roamed free in their village. She said that her two children were in the house when she was assaulted.

Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 17, 2022 4:55:57 pm |