Tamil Nadu

Three die in AC unit blaze at Tindivanam

Short circuit suspected to be the cause

Three members of a family were charred to death in a blaze that broke out after an air-conditioner exploded in a house at Kaveripakkam near Tindivanam in the early hours of Wednesday.

The police gave the names of the dead as K. Raji, 60, a welding shop owner, his wife Kalaiselvi, 52, and son Gowtham, 24, of Kaveripakkam. Raji’s elder son Govarthan, 36, and his wife Gayathri, who were sleeping in an adjacent room, escaped.

According to the police, the fire broke out around 3.30 a.m. The family had gone to bed after switching on the air-conditioner. The air-conditioner unit exploded reportedly due to an electric short circuit and the fire spread into the bedroom and other parts of the house. The three fell unconscious after inhaling the fumes and could not move out of the room. They were charred to death.

The tragedy came to light after Govarthan, who was sleeping in an adjacent room, alerted the police.

The bodies were sent to the Government Medical College and Hospital at Mundiyambakkam for postmortem. A case has been registered.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Feb 23, 2020 1:54:20 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/three-die-in-ac-unit-blaze-at-tindivanam/article27142670.ece

Next Story