National

Over four crore workers registered on e-Shram portal in under two months

Minister of State for Labour Employment Rameswar Teli gives the e-Shram Card to a beneficiary at a function, in Guwahati, September 22, 2021   | Photo Credit: PTI

Over four crore unorganised sector workers had been registered on the e-Shram portal in under two months of its launch, Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav said on October 17.

Marking the milestone, Mr. Yadav said in a tweet that once registered on the portal, the unorganised workers would be able to access the benefits of various welfare schemes easily.

The portal was launched on August 26 with the aim of creating a national database of unorganised workers. As on October 17 morning, the portal (eshram.gov.in), showed 4.15 crore registrations.

In a statement the Ministry said, 50.02% of the registered workers were women and the remaining 49.98% were men. Forty-three per cent of the registered workers were from the OBC communities, 27% from the general category, 23% from Scheduled Castes and 7% from Scheduled Tribes, the statement said.

“As per the latest data, the States of Odisha, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh are at the forefront of this initiative with the highest number of registrations…The largest number of workers registered are from agriculture and construction, given the sheer volume of these two sectors in employment generation in India,” the Ministry said.

Domestic, apparel sector, automobile and transport sector, electronics and hardware, capital goods, education, healthcare, retail, tourism and hospitality and food industry workers were among those who had registered.

“Around 65.68% of these registered workers are in the age group of 16-40 years and 34.32% are in the age group of 40 years and above,” it said.


Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Dec 2, 2021 4:18:36 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/over-four-crore-workers-registered-on-e-shram-portal-in-under-two-months/article37035051.ece

Next Story