Efforts are underway to cut the only bogie left which was severely damaged after the horrific train accident in Odisha’s Balasore, state Chief Secretary Pradeep Jena said on Saturday, June 3, 2023.
- June 03, 2023 09:03Rescue teams working on cutting last bogie
- June 03, 2023 08:17Odisha to observe one-day State mourning
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik declared one-day State mourning on Saturday in view of the tragic rail accident in Bahanaga that killed at least 233 people and injured around 900.
- June 03, 2023 08:13BJP defers its Modi govt.’s ninth anniversary programme
The Bharatiya Janata Party has adjourned all its programmes, scheduled for Saturday, June 3, 2023 related to the Modi government’s ninth anniversary in the wake of the tragic train accident in Balasore which has left 233 people dead so far. Party president J.P. Nadda posted a tweet to this effect and expressed his pain at the devastating accident.
- June 03, 2023 07:59Odisha government has issued the helpline 06782-262286. Railway helplines are 033-26382217 (Howrah), 8972073925 (Kharagpur), 8249591559 (Balasore) and 044- 25330952 (Chennai).
- June 03, 2023 07:37Toll in train accident rises to 233
At least 233 people are feared dead and over 900 people injured in a major rail accident involving two express trains — Yashwantpur-Howrah Express and Shalimar-Chennai Coromandel Express — and a goods train in Balasore district of Odisha on June 2 evening.
The train crash happened near the Bahanaga Baazar station in Balasore district, about 250 km south of Kolkata and 170 km north of Bhubaneswar, around 7 p.m., prompting the Railway Ministry to order a probe.
The inquiry into the train accident will be led by A.M. Chowdhary, Commissioner Railway Safety, South East Circle, the Indian Railways said in a statement. The Commissioner Railway Safety comes under the Ministry of Civil Aviation
- June 03, 2023 05:29Naveen Patnaik announces one-day state mourning
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announces one-day state mourning on Saturday in view of train tragedy in Balasore district. - PTI
- June 03, 2023 04:12Buses arranged for stranded passengers in Balasore and Bhadrak
Buses have been arranged for the stranded passengers in both Balasore and Bhadrak directions. Special trains will also run between Bhadrak-Chennai and Balasore-Howrah for the stranded passengers. - @dawalelo reports.
- June 03, 2023 04:12Accident relief trains rushed to site
Accident Relief trains with medical equipment and doctors have rushed to the site from Kharagpur and Bhadrak. Injured passengers have been taken to the Hospitals of Gopalpur, Khantapara, Balasore, Bhadrak and Soro. - @dawalelo reports.
- June 03, 2023 04:08Coaches affected on Coromandel Express
Coromandel affected coaches - parcel, two general class, sleeper S1 to S5, B4, B5 - @satyabarik reports
Over 900 feared injured after the Coromandel Express derailed after hitting a goods train near Bahanaga station in Balasore on Friday. 📸: ANI
- June 03, 2023 03:41TMC demands Railway Minister’s resignation over Odisha accident
TMC demanded Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw’s resignation over the horrific triple train crash in neighbouring Odisha. TMC’s national general secretary Abhishek Banerjee alleged that the Centre neglected the installation of anti-collision devices in trains to prevent such accidents.
- June 03, 2023 03:31Death toll reaches 207, over 900 injured
Latest report from @SRC_Odisha from the accident site puts the figure at 207. tweeted Pradeep Jena, Chief Secretary of Odisha.
- June 03, 2023 02:10Victims taken to a nearby hospital in Balasore district
The dead and injured were sent to many nearby hospitals. One of them is the Soro Hospital in Balasore district. - @satyabarik reports
📸: Biswaranjan Rout
- June 03, 2023 01:59List of cancelled and diverted trains
Due to the accident, many trains have been cancelled or diverted to a different route.
- June 03, 2023 01:08PM Modi announces ex-gratia of ₹2 lakh for next of kin of deceased
Expressing distress over the train accident in Odisha, PM Modi announced an ex-gratia of ₹2 lakh for the next of kin of each deceased and ₹50,000 for the injured from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF).
- June 03, 2023 00:483 NDRF teams at site, 6 more being rushed
Three NDRF teams are working at the triple train crash site in Odisha’s Balasore district while six more are being rushed to the spot, officials said. - PTI
- June 03, 2023 00:18Ambulances rush towards Balasore
Ambulances rushed on the highway towards Balasore to rescue the victims of the major rail accident involving two express trains and a goods train. 📸 : Biswaranajn Rout
- June 03, 2023 00:12Dharmendra Pradhan leaves for Balasore
Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, who also belongs to Odisha has extended his condolences and has left for Balasore district following a horrific triple train crash.
- June 02, 2023 23:44Union Railways Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw announces ex-gratia compensation for victims
Union Railways Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw announces ex-gratia compensation of ₹10 Lakh in case of death, ₹2 Lakh towards grievous and ₹50,000 for minor injuries.
- June 02, 2023 23:42Naveen Patnaik expresses condolences
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik extended his condolences
- June 02, 2023 23:28Mallikarjun Kharge, Rahul Gandhi express sadness over accident
Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge and former party chief Rahul Gandhi expressed sadness over the train tragedy in Odisha and urged party workers and leaders to extend all support needed for rescue efforts.
- June 02, 2023 22:43M.K. Stalin expresses condolences
Tamil Nadu CM M.K. Stalin extended his condolences to the victims of the accident.
- June 02, 2023 22:40M.K. Stalin deputes a panel to oversee rescue of Tamils
Tamil Nadu CM M.K. Stalin spoke to his Odisha counterpart Naveen Patnaik following the accident and announced that he was deputing a four-member panel to coordinate the rescue of Tamils on the train. - PTI
- June 02, 2023 22:38Goa-Mumbai Vande Bharat Express inauguration cancelled
The ceremony to flag off the inaugural Goa-Mumbai Vande Bharat Express at Madgaon station has been cancelled in the wake of the accident involving three trains in Odisha. - PTI
- June 02, 2023 22:29Amit Shah expresses condolences
Union Home Minister Amit Shah extended his condolences
- June 02, 2023 22:23Helpline numbers set up by Odisha govt., Railways
The Odisha government has issued helpline number 06782-262286.
The railway helplines are: 033-26382217 (Howrah), 8972073925 (Kharagpur), 8249591559 (Balasore) and 044- 25330952 (Chennai).
- June 02, 2023 22:22Helplines numbers set up by South Western Railway
Helpline numbers set up by SWR at
Bangarpet: 08153 255253
Kuppam : 8431403419
SMVB : 09606005129
KJM :+91 88612 03980
- June 02, 2023 22:21President Droupadi Murmu says ‘deeply anguished’ to learn of train accident
- June 02, 2023 22:09Union Railways Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw heading to accident site
Union Railways Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw is heading to the train accident site in Odish’s Balasore where at least 50 passengers are feared dead
- June 02, 2023 22:08PM Modi takes stock of situation
- June 02, 2023 22:05Death toll rises to 50: officials
At least 179 people were injured and around 50 others were feared dead as several coaches of the Coromandel Express derailed in Odisha’s Balasore district on Friday evening, following which it collided head-on with another train on the other line, officials said.
- June 02, 2023 21:59West Bengal Chief Minster extends help
“We are sending a 5-6 members team to the spot to cooperate with the Odisha government and railway authorities and to assist rescue operations,” West Bengal CM said.
- June 02, 2023 21:5810-12 coaches of the Shalimar-Chennai Coromandel Express derailed near Baleswar: Railway Spokesperson
At around 7 p.m., 10-12 coaches of the Shalimar-Chennai Coromandel Express derailed near Baleswar and fell on the opposite track. After some time, another train from Yeswanthpur to Howrah dashed into those derailed coaches resulting in the derailment of its 3-4 coaches, Railway Spokesperson Amitabh Sharma
- June 02, 2023 21:57Major train accident involving Shalimar-Chennai Coromandel Express and Yeshwantpur-Howrah Express in Balasore district of Odisha
A major train accident involving Shalimar-Chennai Coromandel Express and Yeshwantpur-Howrah Express in Balasore district of Odisha took place on June 2