Amid growing demand for justice to the victims of the 1987 Hashimpura massacre, the Uttar Pradesh Minorities Commission will soon be writing to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to order reinvestigation into the entire case.
''We will write to the state government to take steps ensuring justice to the victims of Hashimpura massacre...The government should probe the matter from the beginning. We will also ask the State government to move the High Court against the judgement,'' spokesperson of the Commission Shafi Azmi said.
Stating that the acquittal of the 16 accused Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) personal has come as a huge setback, he said the Commission would ensure that all those who were behind the massacre and also those who were responsible for faulty probe that led to the acquittal get punished.
Last week, a Delhi court acquitted the 16 PAC personnel who were accused of killing 42 Muslims, all residents of Hashimpura in Meerut.
Following is the chronology of events relating to the case:
May 22, 1987: 50 Muslims picked up allegedly by Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) personnel from Hashimpura village in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh.
May 1987: Victims shot and bodies thrown into canal. 42 persons declared dead.
1996: Charge sheet filed against 19 accused before Chief Judicial Magistrate, Ghaziabad by CB—CID of Uttar Pradesh police. 161 people listed as witnesses.
Sept. 2002: Case transferred to Delhi by the Supreme Court on petition by the families of victims and survivors.
July 2006: Delhi court frames charges of murder, attempt to murder, tampering with evidence and conspiracy under the IPC against 17 accused.
Jan. 22, 2015: Court reserves judgement for February 21.
Feb. 21: Court defers verdict as it was not ready.
March 21: Court acquits 16 surviving accused giving them benefit of doubt regarding their identity.