Karnataka

Work on Concor’s inland container depot takes off

Fencing 55 acres begins under police protection

The much-awaited work on the inland container depot of Container Corporation of India Limited (Concor) at Kadakola near Mysuru has taken off amidst police protection. In the presence of about 200 police personnel and KIADB officials, the civil work that was opposed by farmers for over a year began on Wednesday. This involves fencing of 55 acres of land.

The actual work of the project will start shortly after finalising the fresh tender since the earlier contract went in for arbitration as the work could not start due to farmers’ protests, according to authorities.

The proposed ICD at Kadakola, a part of Nanjangud industrial hub, is a ₹100-crore project which is expected to give a boost to local export and import industries. The project envisages rail siding, state-of-the-art warehousing, truck parking area besides facility for customs clearances for export and import cargo.

Immense potential

There is immense potential for starting almost 15 trains a month to various ports, including Mangalore Port and Chennai Port, benefiting industries based in Mysuru and Nanjangud area, the authorities said.

The Concor’s greenfield project was allotted 55 acres at Kadakola and the company authorities awaited settlement of issues with farmers to start the work. However, with the farmers seeking jobs in the Railways and higher compensation for the land which had been acquired several years ago, the project had been delayed.

Some farmers continued to insist on jobs in the Railways instead of private companies in and around Nanjangud.

The meeting in June this year with farmers chaired by the Deputy Commissioner here had stated that Concor cannot provide jobs to the land losers in its project since the jobs were technical in nature. The meeting also resolved that higher compensation was not possible at this stage since it will set a wrong precedent and farmers in other places too will start demanding more relief. The meeting had told farmers that rules do not permit to provide jobs to land losers in Concor, a Government of India undertaking, or the Railways. It is learnt that the district administration and KIADB were making efforts to accommodate the land losers, numbering about 54, in nearby industries after five rounds of negotiations.

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jul 7, 2020 3:12:57 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/work-on-concors-inland-container-depot-takes-off/article29728497.ece

Next Story