Karnataka

‘Use 60 p.c. sand available in district for government projects’

more-in

Officials told to set up check posts

Minister for Horticulture and district in-charge Shamanur Shivashankarappa has decided that 60 per cent of the sand available in the district would be used for government projects and 40 per cent for private works.

The decision was taken at a review meeting held at the zilla panchayat meeting hall here on Wednesday.

As soon as the meeting began, Harapanhalli MLA M.P. Ravindra informed that the cost of one cubic meter of sand in Haveri is Rs. 400, in Ballari is Rs. 600, but in Davangere sand is sold at Rs. 1,300 per cubic meter. The general public is facing a lot of problems owing to the increasing price and shortage of sand.

The MLA also demanded that check posts be set up at different places to check the illegal transportation of sand to other districts by giving suitable instructions to the Deputy Commissioner.

Check posts

Jagalur MLA H.P. Rajesh and other elected representatives also demanded that check posts be set up at different places.

Based on the appeal of the MLAs, the Minister instructed the district administration to take suitable steps to check transportation of sand to other districts by setting up check posts and use 60 per cent of available sand for government projects and the remaining 40 per cent for private projects.

Zilla Panchayat president Manjula Shekharappa, Deputy Commissioner S.T. Anjan Kumar and district-level officers were present at the meeting.



40 p.c. sand can be used for private works: Minister



Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Related Topics Karnataka
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jan 18, 2020 9:34:21 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/use-60-pc-sand-available-in-district-for-government-projects/article7816419.ece

Next Story