Three electrocuted while returning from Ganesha idol immersion procession in Karnataka

The tragedy happened when the mantap placed on a tractor came in contact with a live electric wire at B. Hosalli in Mudigere taluk.

September 07, 2022 07:54 am | Updated 10:11 pm IST

Three people were electrocuted and three others sustained injuries while returning by a tractor after immersing Ganesha idol at B. Hosalli near Banakal in Mudigere taluk of Chikkamagaluru district on Tuesday night.

The mantap with an arch made to place the idol on the vehicle during the procession came in contact with a live electric wire, causing the tragedy.

The deceased are Rachana, 22, Parvathi, 28, and Raju, 50, of Hosalli. The alleged negligence of the driver, who failed to notice the electric wire, is said to be the cause of the accident, according to the police.

Sangeetha, 18, Pallavi, 13, and Gowri suffered injuries in the incident. Chikkamagaluru Superintendent of Police Uma Prashanth informed the media that two of the seriously injured had been shifted to the Hassan Institute of Medical Sciences hospital and the other one was being treated in Mudigere.

Chikkamagaluru MLA and BJP national general secretary C.T. Ravi conveyed his condolences over the death of the three people. He tweeted saying that the death of three people in the accident left him in pain. He also wished speedy recovery for the injured.

Top News Today

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.