Our police capable of conducting investigation, says Karnataka Chief Minister

Published - July 10, 2024 07:18 pm IST - MYSURU

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah speaking to reporters at Mysuru airport on Wednesday.

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah speaking to reporters at Mysuru airport on Wednesday. | Photo Credit: M.A. Sriram

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has countered the BJP’s demand for a CBI probe into the controversy over MUDA alloting sites by asserting that the Karnataka police were capable of conducting an investigation.

Talking to reporters on his arrival at Mysuru airport on Wednesday, Mr. Siddaramaiah pointed out that CBI Director Pravin Sood had served as the Director-General of Police in Karnataka. “Our police is capable of conducting the investigation,” he said.

Mr. Siddaramaiah, however, said the Congress government had referred many cases in the past to the CBI while asking if the BJP government had ever handed over any case to the Central investigation agency. The BJP used to refer to the CBI as “Chor Bachao Samsthe” during the erstwhile Congress regime at the Centre, he recalled.

When his attention was drawn to a protest planned by the BJP in Mysuru on Friday, Mr. Siddaramaiah pointed out that that State government had already ordered a probe by a four-member committee, comprising two IAS officers, to go into the allotment of sites under the 50:50 ratio scheme, even after the government ordered MUDA to stop allotting sites under the scheme in October 2023.

Contending that the allotment of sites to his wife was “legal”, Mr. Siddaramaiah said the BJP was making an issue over it for political reasons. “Did we ask for a site in Vijayangar layout? Have you seen my wife’s application? We did not ask for a site there,” Mr. Siddaramaiah clarified.

He argued that their case was not merely compensation to a land loser, but a case involving “illegal” encroachment of their land by the MUDA. “We asked for compensation for our land and MUDA had accepted its mistake and allotted sites in Vijaynagar,” he said.

He said the government had decided to keep the allotments under suspension pending an inquiry by the committee. “If the inquiry report finds any illegal allotments by MUDA, the government will surely take action,” he said.

He said the government will reply to the matter if the Opposition raises it during the legislature session from July 15.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.