Karnataka

Finalise flood victims’ list for building houses: Minister

Minister in charge of Mysuru district V. Somanna arriving to chair a meeting in Mysuru on Thursday.

Minister in charge of Mysuru district V. Somanna arriving to chair a meeting in Mysuru on Thursday.   | Photo Credit: M.A. SRIRAM

more-in

Somanna asks officials to stick to guidelines on rehabilitation, not include beneficiaries of other schemes

Minister in charge of Mysuru district V. Somanna on Thursday asked the officials to finalise the list of flood victims who are eligible for the construction of new houses and directed them to take up construction only in places identified earlier. Many houses in the district had been completely damaged in heavy rains and floods.

The Minister, who holds the Housing portfolio, was speaking at a meeting convened at the Zilla Panchayat here to review the steps taken for reaching out help to the flood victims.

The Minister told the officials to work according to the guidelines issued by the State government on the rehabilitation of flood victims. “We need to respond to the people who are in distress. The officials have to work responsibly and assist the flood victims,” he said and directed them to make corrections to the list already prepared, for any shortcoming.

Mr. Somanna said the government has released ₹1,200 crore for the relief work and the district-wise allocation of the funds had been done. “I have heard about some complaints in two districts with regard to the funds. I must not hear such complaints in Mysuru district,” he warned.

The officials were told not to include the beneficiaries of other schemes in the list being prepared for the flood victims for housing. Also, the list for providing housing to flood victims should not be merged with other schemes.

“Until the houses are constructed, the victims should be given rent,” he added.

Mysuru Additional Deputy Commissioner B.R. Poornima said 133 houses had been completely damaged, 1,167 houses had been partially damaged and 3,186 needed repairs.

A sum of ₹1.33 crore had been released to those whose houses had been completely damaged in the rain. Each beneficiary will get ₹1 lakh. For the repairs, each beneficiary will get ₹75,000.

The tahsildars from H.D. Kote, Periyapatna, Hunsur, T. Narsipur and Mysuru gave details on the taluk-wise allocation of funds.

On the occasion, the Minister told the officials to deposit ₹6,000 given by the Centre and ₹ 10,000 given by the State government directly into the bank accounts of farmers. He said the officials would be held responsible if there was any lapse in complying with his directive.

Seeks details

The Minister sought the details such as farmers’ names, names of those who lost houses and their phone numbers. “I will personally speak to them just to cross-check whether the money had reached their accounts.”

Joint Director Mahantheshappa said the amount was directly being credited into farmers’ bank accounts.

The Minister promised to look into the proposal to relocate Bokkahalli village in Varuna constituency which is facing the threat of getting flooded from Kabini discharge. “I will approve the relocation if you give us the master plan,” he told Yathindra Siddaramaiah, MLA, who raised the issue.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Related Topics Karnataka
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Dec 10, 2019 6:23:48 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/finalise-flood-victims-list-for-building-houses-minister/article29789776.ece

Next Story