Karnataka

Doctors declare Tanveer Sait out of danger

more-in

It may take two to three more days for him to be shifted out of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) to the ward

Former Minister and Congress MLA Tanveer Sait was declared out of danger on Tuesday after doctors found significant improvement in his health. Mr. Sait was hospitalised after an assailant inflicted grievous injuries on his neck by striking him with a machete late on Sunday night.

“There is a lot of improvement in his general health condition today compared to yesterday. He even got down from the bed and sat on the chair for some time,” said Upendra Shenoy, Medical Superintendent, Columbia Asia Hospital, Mysuru.

The functioning of the kidney that was a source of concern to the doctors on Monday had also improved on Tuesday. It may take two to three more days for him to be shifted out of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) to the ward.

Responding to queries, Dr. Shenoy said the wound was about 8 to 10 inches in length and more than two inches deep, going right up to the spine. An ear lobule had also been cut, but had been stitched up. He said the stitches would not be visible.

“The wound was dressed again on Tuesday. He is speaking comfortably and following a regular diet,” Dr. Shenoy said. But, the area of the surgery and the wound are yet to heal and the challenge is to prevent any infection. “It will take another 10 to 15 days for the wound to heal,” he added, and hoped Mr. Sait could be discharged from the hospital in about five days including the two to three days in the ICU.

Though Minister for Housing V. Somanna, who is also the Minister in charge of Mysuru district, offered government assistance to bring specialist doctors to Mysuru or shift Mr. Sait to a different facility, Dr. Shenoy said there was no need for it now. Mr. Sait is also confident of the treatment at the hospital and his family is also in favour of continuing with the treatment in the same hospital, he added.

Meanwhile, many continued to visit the hospital even on Tuesday to inquire about Mr. Sait’s health. Former Minister A.H. Vishwanath, former MP R. Dhruvanarayan and former Speaker Ramesh Kumar were among the visitors on Tuesday.

Gunman suspended

The police suspended Mr. Sait’s gunman Fairoz Khan on charge of dereliction of duty. Mr. Khan was just behind Mr. Sait when the assault took place at a wedding at Bal Bhavan. Mr. Khan, a constable of City Armed Reserve (CAR), has been accused of failing to act and prevent the attack.

Meanwhile, the assailant Farhan Pasha, who was caught by the guests and Mr. Sait’s supporters and handed over to the police, was produced before the magistrate and remanded in police custody for twelve days. The Special Investigation Team (SIT) set up by the police and headed by Deputy Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) M. Muthuraj, is continuing its probe to explore various angles of the assault on the MLA.

Tight security remained in place outside the hospital and Mr. Sait’s residence in Udayagiri in Mysuru.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Dec 6, 2019 11:20:24 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/doctors-declare-tanveer-sait-out-of-danger/article30019733.ece

Next Story