2004 violence: HC upholds sentence of Tripura Congress chief


The High Court of Tripura has on Monday upheld the jail sentence of Tripura PCC Chief Birajit Sinha in connection with 2004 violence in north Tripura that claimed two people and injured many. It directed the ‘accused’ to surrender before appropriate authority to complete three months jail term that was slapped on him by the trial court in November 2013 under Arms Act.

A division bench headed by Chief Justice Deepak Kumar Gupta however quashed prosecution’s plea to punish veteran Congress leader under murder charge. The court ruled that Mr. Sinha is liable for excessively firing on the crowd and violating prohibitory order.

The violence occurred at Baburbazar in Kailasahar of now Unakoti district when Birajit Sinha accompanied by his personal security guards and party men were prevented by CPI (M) supporters. Mr Sinha wanted to proceed towards a polling station during the panchayat election after rumours surfaced over booth capturing, but the action resulted in violent clash.

During the clash, Birajit Sinha allegedly fired from his licensed Revolver resulting in death of a CPI (M) worker and one of his security guards. Several others were injured in the indiscriminate firing by Mr Sinha and his security staffs.

Mr Sinha was held guilty for carrying excessive ammunition beyond his licensed capacity and disobeying prohibitory order enforced by the district administration. He would have to start his sentence in 30 days unless intervened by the Supreme Court.

Mr. Sinha who is presently in New Delhi on medical ground said he would move the apex court against the high court order. “I had to open fire in self defence and had procured all bullets through proper official channel”, he told The Hindu over phone.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jan 18, 2020 8:51:20 AM |

Next Story