National

Government will act against violations: Rajnath

A woman from Dharavi points to a sari which reads "Don't touch me". Similar saris have been worked on by these women to convey different messages about rape and violence against women.  

Taking strong exception to the telecast of the documentary, India’s Daughter, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said the government had asked all television channels not to release the documentary.

“But the BBC has broadcast it in London. We had requested the BBC not to air the documentary, but it said that it is an independent organisation and will go ahead with the telecast,” he told the media, adding that the Home Ministry would take appropriate action.

Mr. Singh, however, refused to comment on the nature of action being taken for alleged violations by the documentary makers and the broadcasters. “Whatever is required will be done and if conditions have been violated, there will be appropriate action,” he said.

Earlier on Thursday, the Minister discussed the issue with Information & Broadcasting Minister Arun Jaitley and Information and Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. The MHA has also written to the External Affairs Ministry, in a bid to block the documentary.

Supreme Court advocate and media law expert Madhavi Goradia Divan said if there is overriding public interest in broadcasting the documentary, the legal notice of the Tihar jail authorities would stand on thin ice. “The public can invoke its right to know and seek the broadcast of the documentary,” Ms Divan told The Hindu.


Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jan 25, 2022 8:27:50 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/government-will-act-against-violations-rajnath/article6963923.ece

Next Story