National

Civilians killed in Sukma encounter, allege Maoists

Their families should be provided help, they demand

NAGPUR: The outlawed Communist Party of India (Maoist) has alleged that the two suspected Maoists killed by the security forces in Sukma district of South Chhattisgarh last week were “common civilians” and killed in a “fake encounter”.

“At around midnight on August 12, the security forces surrounded Ittanpara village [in South Sukma] and took away two civilians, Podium Sunna and Vanjam Hunga, who were asleep in their houses. Both the villagers were taken to Gajulgatta area near Kistaram forest and tortured inhumanly before being killed. On the next day, the police told the media that both of them were Maoists and killed in an encounter. This fake encounter should be condemned and the family members of these civilians should be provided help,” said the South Bastar Divisional Committee of the CPI(Maoist) in a press statement.

The police had claimed that Sunna was the Maoists militia platoon deputy commander and Hunga was a member of the small action team of the platoon number 8 in Sukma.

They had also claimed to have recovered one pistol and one locally-made gun from them.

The Maoists claimed that the entire South Sukma area surrounding Kistaram village was facing large scale “attacks” by the security forces led by a local District Reserve Guard (DRG) commander Madkam Mudraz.

“The villages around Kistaram are being attacked regularly. Innocent villagers are being beaten up and implicated in false cases. The security forces enter the houses of common villagers at midnight and indulge in plunder. Since the last two years, this suppression is happening in south Sukma under the leadership of Mudraz with the consent of Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh and senior officials,” the ultra left outfit alleged.

Kistaram village is known to be a hardcore Maoist area where their military battalion, headed by dreaded Maoist commander Hidma, operates.

The Maoists have carried out many major attacks on the security forces since 2010.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 27, 2020 3:34:15 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/civilians-killed-in-sukma-encounter-allege-maoistsdeck-their-families-should-be-provided-help-they-demand/article19525466.ece

Next Story