Congress MP Sonia Gandhi, Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge and Rahul Gandhi joined the Opposition protest in favour of their demand of a JPC probe into Adani stocks issue.
- March 17, 2023 12:04Congress-led Opposition protest in Parliament over Adani row
- March 17, 2023 11:22Pandemonium in Lok Sabha, House adjourned
Speaker Om Birla urged members to allow Lok Sabha to function, but as sloganeering continued, the House was adjourned for the day.
Proceedings will resume on Monday, March 20.
- March 17, 2023 11:19Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day
Once again, no significant business has been conducted in the Upper House. Proceedings will now resume on Monday, March 20, at 11.00 a.m.
Chairman Jagdeep Dhankhar also informed the House that in connection with an earlier Point of Order raised by Leader of Opposition Mallikarjun Kharge against Leader of House Piyush Goyal, he has asked Mr. Goyal to authenticate his remarks.
- March 17, 2023 11:17Chairman Jagdeep Dhankhar disallows 11 notices under Rule 267 of Parliament
Members protest with loud slogans and chants.
- March 17, 2023 11:14Audio feed of proceedings from Lok Sabha cut off
Soon after the protesting MPs stormed into the Well of the House, livestream audio went on mute. Visuals showed several Opposition leaders raising slogans in the Well.
- March 17, 2023 11:02Rajya Sabha proceedings begin
Chairman Jagdeep Dhankhar extends birthday greetings to Kannada actor and MP Jaggesh.
- March 17, 2023 11:01Proceedings begin in Lok Sabha
The Lower House began proceedings of the day with Question Hour. Several members of the Opposition soon came to the Well of the House and were seen raising slogans.
- March 17, 2023 10:58‘BJP anti-national’: Mallikarjun Kharge attacks ruling party
Speaking to news agency ANI, Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge took a dig at the BJP for attacking Rahul Gandhi over his remarks. “They [BJP] themselves are anti-national. They never took part in India’s freedom movement. And they’re calling others anti-national. They are doing this to deviate from issues of unemployment and inflation. Can Rahul Gandhi ever be anti-national? Are people who debate about democracy anti-national? I condemn JP Nadda’s statement. Why are they not giving Rahul Gandhi a chance to speak in Parliament.”
- March 17, 2023 10:41Notices in Parliament today
AAP MP Sanjay Singh has given a suspension of business notice in the Rajya Sabha under Rule 267, demanding a discussion on Adani stocks issue. Similar notices given by Congress MP Ranjeet Ranjan and Syed Naseer Hussain. In the Lok Sabha, Congress MP Manickam Tagore has given an adjournment motion notice, seeking a discussion on the issue.
Congress MP Manish Tewari has once again given an adjournment motion notice in the Lok Sabha, seeking a discussion on the “essence, substance and spirit” of Freedom of Speech accorded to Members of Parliament under Article 105 of the Constitution.