Army calls off Keran operation, says eight militants dead

Counter infiltration deployment being beefed up: Northern Command chief

Updated - December 04, 2021 11:38 pm IST

Published - October 08, 2013 01:12 pm IST - SRINAGAR:

The Army on Tuesday called off the 15-day-long military operation in the Keran sector of Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara district.

Bodies of six militants were recovered, a senior officer of the J&K Police in North Kashmir, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Hindu, though the Army had previously claimed that 30-40 militants had been spotted and engaged, and 19 were killed in gun battles, seven of them at Gujjartur and Fateh Gali.

“[The] police station in Keran has received the bodies of the two militants who reportedly died at Gujjartur [Gogaldara] and later, four bodies of unidentified militantswho reportedly died at Fateh Gali,” the officer said.

He said that Shalabata, a village on the LoC where theprimary infiltration and counterinsurgency operation took place, came under the jurisdiction of the Trehgam police station.

“Not a single body was handed over to the Trehgam police station or any other station in Kupwara district.”

Earlier on Tuesday, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Northern Command, Lt. Gen. Sanjeev Chachra, said at a press meet that eight militants had been killed in theoperation. .

“Now, I have given directions to call off the concerted searches in the area. But our counter infiltration deployment is being strengthened. Now, we are going to launch operations which are intelligence-based, surveillance-based and specific so that we can eliminate them,” Lt. Gen. Chachra said, adding that 59 weapons, including 18 AK-47 rifles, had been recovered.

The troops, the GoC-in-C Northern Command said,expected more such infiltration attempts to take place before the onset of winter but were high in spirit and morale.

He concluded his four-day visit with an aerial inspection of the forward posts and interaction with jawans at several places in Kupwara.

He also called on the injured soldiers at the 92 Base Hospital and held separate meetings with the J&K Governor N.N. Vohra and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.