Andhra Pradesh

Woman, son burnt alive near Chittoor

Incident is said to have occurred due to short-circuit

A woman and her son were burnt alive while asleep at their house at Koonapalle village of Ganugapenta panchayat of Pakala mandal, about 50 km from here, in the early hours of Wednesday. The incident was said to have occurred due to short-circuit following explosion of an UPS battery.

According to Pakala police, Sankaramma (75) and her son Sekhar (50) were asleep. A UPS battery had exploded leading to fire and this in turn led to short-circuit. The duo was charred to death and their bodies were shifted to area hospital at Piler. A case was registered.

A letter from the Editor

Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
  1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
  2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
  3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters, or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text. (example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not 'the', n is not 'and').
  4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
  5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.

Printable version | May 27, 2020 5:56:16 PM |

Next Story