A massive outbreak of gastroenteritis (GE) in Old Guntur has left three persons dead.
At least 50 cases have been reported, and the affected persons were being treated at government and private hospitals.
On Tuesday, two women — Bibi Jan, from Anandapet and Fatimunnisa, 56, a resident of Vinobanagar — died at the GGH here.
On Monday, Syed Sabina, 28, a resident of Anandapet, died after prolonged illness. All the three had shown symptoms of dehydration, and were admitted to the GGH in a critical condition.
Residents blamed water contamination for the outbreak, the GMC has been executing works relating to interlinking of pipelines in One Town.
Collector surveys scene
District Collector Kona Sasidharinspected the wards on Ponnur Road and at Anandapet where scores of suspected GE cases have been reported. Mr. Sasidhar along with Municipal Commissioner Ch. Anuradha and District Medical and Health Officer Yasmin conducted a door-to-door inspection of the houses and gave directions on measures to be taken on a war-footing.
“The sporadic outbreak of GE is alarming and we have started 10 medical camps in the wards. We have collected samples of water and are investigating for any contamination. We have also set up a special ward on the GGH premises,’’ Mr. Sasidhar told media persons at the hospital after visiting the patients.
The Collector took a close look at the pipelines. He asked the GMC to start a control room with number 2345105 and make a doctor available round the clock.
The Municipal Commissioner said chlorine content in water samples was between 0.5 and 1.5 ppm, adding that water samples had been collected from 270 houses in the area.