Valley smoulders ahead of Eid

Protesters raise slogans in Srinagar on Saturday. Photo: Nissar Ahmad   | Photo Credit: NISSAR AHMAD

Just three days ahead of Eid-ul-Azha, two civilians were killed and over 100 injured as fresh violence engulfed large parts of south and north Kashmir on Saturday. The street agitation completed 64 days.

Divisional Commissioner Baseer Khan said no curfew was imposed but restrictions were in place in a few places in Srinagar and some towns. However, the local people said curfew-like restrictions were imposed in the garb of enforcing Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.

A police spokesman said protesters threw stones at security forces in Anantnag, Kulgam, Sopore, Baramulla and Shopian. “Nearly 500 miscreants assembled and threw stones at police and other security forces at Tukroo in Shopian district. Tear-gas shells were fired to disperse the mob. One person, identified as Sayar Ahmad Sheikh, was killed as he was hit by a shell,” the spokesman said.

However, the people alleged that a major clash broke out when the security forces objected to a pro-freedom rally and chased the marchers.

The spokesman said 200 miscreants attacked police and security forces at Batingoo in neighbouring Anantnag district. “When the forces responded, one person, identified as Yawar Mushtaq Dar, was injured and he died later,” he said.

School set on fire

The people alleged that security forces raided several areas in Batingoo to round up the youth for participating in anti-India protests. As the youngsters resisted the crackdown, sparking clashes, Dar was hit by pellets fired by the security forces from close range. Hospital sources said multiple pellets were lodged in the youth’s upper body. Later, protesters set ablaze a government high school in the area.

Nearly 100 civilians sustained injuries, including from pellet guns, as the forces foiled several attempts in parts of south Kashmir to hold pro-freedom processions.

The civilian death toll in the unrest, since the killing of militant commander Burhan Wani on July 8, has risen to 75 and more than 10,000 have been injured.

Besides Kulgam, Anantnag and Shopian districts in the south, Budgam in central Kashmir remained on the boil.

In Srinagar, funeral of a resident of Aali Kadal was held, amid allegations that he was beaten to death by the security forces. The police refuted the allegation.

Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Dec 1, 2021 4:08:48 PM |

Next Story