The Ministry of Water Resources informed National Green Tribunal (NGT) today that it has not granted permission for ‘World Cultural Festival’ scheduled from March 11 to 13. The event is organised by Art of Living foundation.
* NGT pulled up the Ministry of Environment & Forests for not filing affidavit as asked by it regarding environment clearances.
* The NGT also asked Delhi Pollution Control Committee if it can allow putting enzymes in river Yamuna without examination.
* The NGT asked Centre, Delhi govt and DDA if any environment impact assessment was carried out regarding preparation & consequential effects of AOL event.
* Delhi govt informed NGT that CPWD has asked AOL to build a separate stage for PM due to issues over structural safety.
* NGT asked AOL to submit details of expenses on construction of stage, levelling of flood plains, removal of debris and pontoon bridge.
* Delhi govt informed NGT that cops, after inspection, have asked AOL to show structural safety clearance of pontoon bridge & vehicle parking clearance.
Oppn slams govt
A united opposition in Rajya Sabha today slammed the Government for allowing Indian Army to be used for a private event of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s Art of Living foundation, saying the event itself on the ecologically fragile flood plains of Yamuna was an environmental disaster.
Government sprung to the defence of the ‘Art of Living’ guru saying his intentions cannot be doubted as he was committed to protecting environment. The event is being organised with all permissions, it claimed adding that the issue cannot be raised in the House as it was being heard by the National Green Tribunal (NGT).