With the deaths in the Vyapam case assuming alarming proportions, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh called Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, seeking a thorough investigation into the death of TV journalist Akshay Singh.
The Home Minister also asked Mr. Chouhan to take steps to ensure the security of all those connected to the Vyapam case.
Amid growing demands for a fair probe into Singh’s death, his last rites were held in Delhi on Sunday. The funeral witnessed a large turnout of politicians, including Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi and party colleagues Digvijay Singh, Randeep Singh Surjewala and Ajay Maken. The BJP was represented by Delhi unit chief Satish Upadhyaya.
Akshay Singh cremated
Akshay Singh was cremated in Delhi on Sunday, with Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal attending it.
His body was brought from Jhabua on Sunday morning. He was in >Madhya Pradesh to do a story on the recent deaths related to the Madhya Pradesh Vyavsayik Pareeksha Mandal (Vyapam) scam.
The journalist’s family and friends attended the cremation at the Nigambodh ghat.
Other political leaders who attended the cremation included Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, Congress leader Ajay Maken and Delhi BJP president Satish Upadhyay.
Jhabua Superintendent of Police Abid Khan said that Singh and his two colleagues interviewed the family for around an hour, after which the journalist suddenly fell ill.
He was rushed to a hospital where doctors declared him dead.
(With IANS inputs)
- » The Vyapam scam in Madhya Pradesh dates back to 2007, with investigations in the case starting after some details came to light in 2013.
- » It has been alleged by the Congress as well as several social activists that the officials took money to compromise the examination and recruitment.
- » It is also known as the Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam.
- »Editorial:>The Vyapam scam trail
- » Congress leaders openly accused MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan and his wife of being involved in the scam. Later, they submitted the "original evidence".
- » Earlier this year, Chief Minister Chouhan claimed in a >letter to Congress president Sonia Gandhi that the developments regarding the Vyapam scam provided proof of his honesty as he was the one who ordered a probe into it.
- »> Here are five things you need to know about Vyapam Scam.
College dean found dead
Dr. Arun Sharma, the dean of a Jabalpur-based medical college was found dead.
A journalist died soon after interviewing the parents of a girl who was accused in the scam and had died in suspicious circumstances.
The Madhya Pradesh govt. rejected a demand for CBI probe.
Another Vyapam scam accused dies in MP
Narendra Singh Tomar died under mysterious circumstances in an Indore jail.
FIR against M.P. Governor quashed
High Court held that he enjoyed immunity while in office.
Governor's son found dead
Shailesh Yadav, one of the accused in the scam, was found dead under mysterious circumstances.
Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav's involvement
The Special Task Force probed the alleged involvement of Governor Ram Naresh Yadav.