J&K police seek custody of Army Colonel, Major in Machil case

Updated - November 28, 2021 08:52 pm IST

Published - June 27, 2010 05:22 pm IST - Srinagar

Jammu and Kashmir police has sought the custody of an Army colonel, a Major and four others for custodial interrogation in the alleged fake encounter of three youths in Machil sector in frontier district of Kupwara in April this year.

Sources in the State Home Department said a letter had been sent to the local Army headquarters for handing over Colonel D. K. Pathania, Major Upinder and four others for their detailed custodial interrogation.

They claimed that the Army had been asked to hand over the custody expeditiously as there was enough evidence to suggest their involvement in the killing of Muhammad Shafi, Shehzad Ahmed and Riyaz Ahmed.

They were gunned down on the night of April 29.

The sources said if the Army does not hand over the officials, the police would be proceeding with its charge-sheet naming the Colonel, the Major and four personnel of other ranks besides three civilians which include a territorial Army jawan Abbas Shah.

Army officials were trying to invoke Armed Forces Special Powers Act under which no official is to be handed over to the civilian administration but the State government claims that the action was conducted allegedly with criminal intent.

The police have recorded the statements of various people including the driver of the vehicle in which the three youths were taken from their native village of Nadihal in Baramulla district and were allegedly gunned down.

The State police has arrested three persons Abbas Shah - the territorial Army jawan, Basharat Lone and Abdul Hamid Bhat - for allegedly luring the three youths to the border and staging a fake encounter in Machil sector of north Kashmir.

The State government has ordered a magisterial inquiry into the case and also taken up the matter with the Defence Ministry.

The exhumation of bodies and post-mortem was done by the State government. The police had registered a missing report on April 27 in this regard which was later converted into a kidnapping case.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had asked Commander of 15 Corps Lt Gen N. C. Marwah to cooperate in the probe being carried out by the police.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.