In its first response to Italy’s decision not to return marine Massimiliano Latorre to face the trail in the 2012 case of the killing of fishermen off the Kerala coast, the External Affairs Ministry said here on Wednesday that Latorre would have to return to India on or before April 30 as decided by the Supreme Court during a hearing on the case earlier in the day.
“Mr. Latorre will have to produce documents supporting his health conditions, so that India can decide whether he needs any further care in Italy,” said a diplomatic source elaborating that he was allowed to leave in 2014 on strict health grounds and he would have to fulfil them again if he wished to stay in Italy.
Despite its strong position on the case, the government has not so far charged the two marines, Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who are accused in the case.
The Ministry welcomed the court’s decision to hold the next hearing on April 13, saying it would help in finding a satisfying solution.