Curfew relaxed in parts of Srinagar, lifted in three districts

People purchase vegetables in Srinagar. After days of unrest, authorities relaxed curfew in parts of the city. Photo: Nissar Ahmad

People purchase vegetables in Srinagar. After days of unrest, authorities relaxed curfew in parts of the city. Photo: Nissar Ahmad   | Photo Credit: NISSAR AHMAD


Barring stray incidents of stone pelting in the Bemina and Rambagh localities, the situation remained peaceful in the city, police said.

Curfew was relaxed for the first time in a week today in parts of the city which saw stray stone pelting incidents while it was totally withdrawn from three districts in Kashmir Valley where relative calm prevailed after days of unrest.

As the initial period of two hours from noon passed off peacefully in the eight police station areas of civil lines, the relaxation period was extended up to 4 pm and later extended till further orders, official sources said.

They said the relaxation was also allowed in areas falling under two police stations of Sadder and Nowgam from 4 pm.

Meanwhile, curfew was lifted totally from Budgam, Gandarbal, and Handwara districts, an official release here said this evening.

Barring stray incidents of stone pelting in Bemina and Rambagh localities of the city during the relaxation period, the situation remained peaceful in the city, they said.

However, main markets remained closed during the relaxation period but vendors selling vegetables and chemists did brisk business during the period.

Three-wheelers in some areas were also seen plying during the relaxation period.

One person, Rameez Reshi, who was injured in police firing last evening, succumbed to his wounds this morning raising the number of people killed in the present unrest in the Valley to 33.

He was injured when an unruly mob attacked a police post at Warpora, Sopore following which the police and security forces used cane charge, tear smoke grenades and shells to disperse it.

The mob did not relent and the security forces opened fire in which Mr. Rameez was injured. He was admitted to a hospital here for treatment where he succumbed today, police said.

The funeral procession of Reshi was addressed by separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani over phone from Srinagar in which he advised people to remain calm. The mourners dispersed peacefully after the burial.

Curfew was imposed in entire Valley on July 31 in the wake of violent protests in which 33 persons have been killed and several others, including securitymen, injured.

“Curfew was relaxed in eight Thaana areas of Srinagar city under the instructions of District Magistrate, Srinagar after reviewing the law and order situation whereas curfew was lifted totally in Budgam, Gandarbal and Handwara districts,” a police department release said here this evening.

In Srinagar, curfew was relaxed in the jurisdictions of police stations at Raj Bagh, Kothi Bagh, Ram Munshi Bagh, Nishat, Harwan, Shergarhi, Karan Nagar and Pantha Chowk from 11:30 hrs to 1600 hrs which was extended till further orders later, the release said.

Areas under the jurisdiction of police station Sadder and Nowgam were given relaxation from 1700 hrs till further orders.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Dec 11, 2019 8:30:28 PM |

Next Story