National

Court stays proceedings in Provident Fund scam case

more-in

Disturbing incidents have come to light: Attorney-General

The Supreme Court on Wednesday stayed all further proceedings in the Ghaziabad Provident Fund scam case before a special CBI court in Uttar Pradesh.

In the scam, in which judges were named, crores were fraudulently withdrawn from the PF accounts of Class IV employees

A Bench of Justices D.K. Jain, V.S. Sirpurkar and G.S. Singhvi stayed the proceedings, after Attorney-General G.E. Vahanvati, appearing for the Central Bureau of Investigation, submitted that certain extremely disturbing incidents had come to light and that the case be shifted to a CBI court in Delhi.

When Mr. Vahanvati prayed for issuing notice on the transfer plea, the Bench suggested that he file a proper application citing the accused as respondents.

Earlier, he submitted a report and said there was no evidence against 17 judges of receipt of valuables/services, warranting action against them. In respect of the remaining 24 judicial officers, the report said sufficient prosecutable evidence was not available.

The report had been sent to Chief Justice of India S. H. Kapadia and Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court Ferdino Inacio Rebello for taking administrative action for their alleged misconduct, the AG said.

The CBI affidavit said there was no prosecutable evidence against 32 private persons, seven Class III employees and 36 Class IV employees of the District Court, Ghaziabad. It said charge sheets had been filed against six former district judges, three of whom were later elevated to the Allahabad High Court, and 48 Class III and Class IV employees. All these persons had been working in the district court for several years and had close contacts with various judges and magistrates.

The special judge, CBI, in whose court in Ghaziabad the charge sheet was filed, had also worked with some of the chargesheeted judicial officers in the past.

The AG alleged that the CBI judge had been orally asking the State police to involve themselves in the case, which had been handed over to the CBI. He even sought the case diary from the Uttar Pradesh police, which initially investigated the scam.

Further hearing is listed for August 4.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Nov 22, 2019 1:49:42 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/Court-stays-proceedings-in-Provident-Fund-scam-case/article16213300.ece

Next Story