A family vacation that was not to be

Tarishi Jain was supposed to reach her uncle’s house in Firozabad on Sunday for a family holiday. Her relatives are now waiting for her body to arrive from Dhaka.

Tarishi, a 19-year-old Indian national, was among the 20 hostages killed in cold blood in >Friday’s terror attack in Dhaka. Her body is expected to reach Delhi on Monday afternoon.

The Jains’ house at Suhag Nagar here, which was abuzz with activity till Saturday morning, has suddenly fallen silent. “We had so many plans to welcome Tarishi, her brother and their parents on Sunday morning. The much awaited celebrations have turned into unbearable grief,” said Tarishi’s uncle Rakesh Mohan Jain.

Tarishi’s family is originally from Firozabad where her uncles — Rakesh, Rajiv and Ajit — are engaged in glass items business.

Her father Sanjiv Jain, who runs a garment business in Dhaka, was very close to his family and used to visit Firozabad almost every month.

Tarishi’s brother Sanchit had already landed in Delhi from Canada on Saturday. From Delhi, the entire family was to go to Firozabad for a family vacation before Tarishi headed back to the U.S. for her studies.

Mr. Rakesh Mohan broke down while describing his helplessness when he learnt from his brother that Tarishi was in the Holey Artisan Bakery when the terrorists stormed the building.

“We were constantly in touch with Sanjiv who was waiting outside the restaurant. We sat in front of the TV, hoping to get some news of her safe exit,” he said.

“Tarishi’s last words — ‘I am hiding in the toilet with friends. I think we will be killed one by one’ — are ringing in our heads. I have no words to describe how desperate we felt in those moments.”

Last rites at Gurgaon

Ajit Jain, another uncle of Tarishi, said her last rites would be performed in Gurgaon, where they have another house.

“If we decide to bring her body to Firozabad, it will be almost evening and we won’t be able to complete her last rites after sunset,” he said.

Talking about his niece, Mr. Rakesh Mohan said Tarishi was a very “bright and intelligent” girl.

“I was so proud of her when she got admission to University of California, Berkeley. She was in Bangladesh for her project on e-commerce growth opportunity there. We just don’t know how to deal with this tragedy.”

He said there were signs of torture on Tarishi’s body. “She was tortured before being killed. How could people kill innocents with such brutality in the name of religion,” asked Mr. Mohan.

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Sep 23, 2020 10:34:54 PM |

Next Story