International

Two elderly patients succumb to coronavirus in Singapore, first deaths since outbreak

File photo of visitor screening at Asia Square Tower in Singapore.

File photo of visitor screening at Asia Square Tower in Singapore.   | Photo Credit: AP

Out of the 385 coronavirus cases in Singapore, a total of 131 have fully recovered. Of the 254 confirmed cases who are still in hospital, most are stable or improving

Two persons, including a woman, became the first fatalities of the coronavirus pandemic in Singapore, the country’s Health Ministry said on Saturday as the country announced a slew of measures to prevent the spread of the deadly disease that has infected 385 people in the island nation.

Singapore on Friday confirmed 40 new COVID-19 cases, including 30 imported infections, taking the total number to 385 in the country.

Also read | Coronavirus outbreak will hit Singapore’s economy this year: Trade minister

The two fatalities included a 75-year-old Singaporean woman and a 64-year-old Indonesian man who died on Saturday, the Health Ministry said.

The woman was linked to the cluster at the Life Church and Missions Singapore and had a history of chronic heart disease and hypertension, reported Channel News Asia.

She showed COVID-19 symptoms on February 9 and was admitted to the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) on February 23 for pneumonia and tested positive for the disease the same day.

She developed serious complications and died at about 7.50 a.m.

Also read | Indians advised to avoid non-essential travel to Singapore

The man, who had a history of heart disease, was admitted in a critical condition at NCID on March 13, after arriving in Singapore from Indonesia and passed away at 10.15 a.m.

Prior to his arrival in Singapore, he had been hospitalised in Indonesia for pneumonia.

While we all know that there will be fatalities in COVID-19 patients, we are deeply saddened by their passing,” Health Minister Gan Kim Yong said.

“I know Singaporeans will be worried and anxious. We must take courage and not give in to our fears. We have announced a series of safe distancing measures yesterday and we must all take the necessary precautions to keep ourselves and our families safe,” he said.

Out of the 385 cases in Singapore, a total of 131 have fully recovered from the infection. Of the 254 confirmed cases who are still in hospital, most are stable or improving.

 

To reduce the risk of local transmissions, authorities on Friday ordered all events and gatherings with 250 or more participants to be suspended.

New safe distancing measures were introduced for public venues such as retail shops and restaurants to ensure separation of at least 1 metre between customers.

A new TraceTogether mobile app was also launched to help with contact tracing efforts.

According to the Johns Hopkins coronavirus tracker, the death toll from the virus globally has risen to 11,397 with more than 275,427 cases reported in over 160 countries and territories.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Related Topics
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 30, 2020 5:58:43 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/two-elderly-patients-succumb-to-coronavirus-in-singapore-first-deaths-since-outbreak/article31126307.ece

Next Story