Trump says U.S. has had enough of 19 years in Afghanistan

The President’s remarks follows his statement early this month that he will bring all troops back from Afghanistan by year-end

Updated - October 22, 2020 10:57 am IST

Published - October 22, 2020 10:56 am IST - Washington

U.S. President Donald Trump holds a campaign rally in Gastonia, North Carolina, U.S., October 21, 2020.

U.S. President Donald Trump holds a campaign rally in Gastonia, North Carolina, U.S., October 21, 2020.

The United States has had enough of 19 years in Afghanistan, President Donald Trump has said, reiterating that American troops are coming back from the war-torn country.

Also read: Another Afghan peace push and a role for India

Mr. Trump has repeatedly said that he would bring home all the US troops from “endless wars”. It was also one of the promises he made during his 2016 Presidential campaign.

Last month, he said that the United States will reduce the number of its troops in Afghanistan to 4,000 in a very short period of time.

“We never had anything like it -- and sacrificing American blood and treasure in endless foreign wars in countries that you’ve never even heard of. And they’re all coming back. You know that, right? I hope nobody objects, “ Mr. Trump told his supporters on Wednesday at an election rally in Gastonia, in the battleground state of North Carolina.

“I think 19 years in Afghanistan is enough, wouldn’t you say? We’re like a police force over there. We have the greatest soldiers in the world, but over there we’re like a police force. 19 years is enough,” he said.

“You think it’s easy getting out with all the military-industrial complex, right? The military -- beware the military-industrial complex. They are right but we are all coming home, they are all coming home,” Mr. Trump said.

Early this month, Mr. Trump announced that he will bring all troops back from Afghanistan by year-end. The Pentagon had expressed surprise over it, while the Taliban had welcomed the move.

The U.S. and the Taliban signed a landmark deal in Doha on February 29 to bring lasting peace in war-torn Afghanistan and allow US troops to return home from America’s longest war.

Under the US-Taliban pact signed in Doha, the US has agreed to reduce its troops in Afghanistan from 13,000 to 8,600 in the next 130 days and withdraw all its soldiers in 14 months.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.