International

Pompeo says U.S. committed to de-escalation after strike kills Iranian commander

The U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. | Photo Credit: AFP
Reuters WASHINGTON 03 January 2020 18:40 IST
Updated: 03 January 2020 22:09 IST

Pompeo said he could only confirm that Qassem Soleimani, the commander of Iran's elite Quds Force, had been killed in the strike

The United States remains committed to de-escalation with Iran but is prepared to defend itself, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday following a U.S. air strike in Baghdad that killed a top Iranian commander.

Mr. Pompeo, speaking in an interview on Fox News, said he could only confirm that Qassem Soleimani, the commander of Iran's elite Quds Force, had been killed in the strike.

Watch | Who was Qasem Soleimani?
 

Advertising
Advertising
Comments
Read more...