International

Pompeo says U.S. committed to de-escalation after strike kills Iranian commander

The U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

The U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.   | Photo Credit: AFP

Pompeo said he could only confirm that Qassem Soleimani, the commander of Iran's elite Quds Force, had been killed in the strike

The United States remains committed to de-escalation with Iran but is prepared to defend itself, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday following a U.S. air strike in Baghdad that killed a top Iranian commander.

Mr. Pompeo, speaking in an interview on Fox News, said he could only confirm that Qassem Soleimani, the commander of Iran's elite Quds Force, had been killed in the strike.

Watch | Who was Qasem Soleimani?
 

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 3, 2020 10:50:59 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/pompeo-says-us-committed-to-de-escalation-after-strike-kills-iranian-commander/article30471743.ece

Next Story