Japan searches for Hagibis survivors as toll rises to 56

Fresh rain threatens to hamper rescue.

Updated - October 14, 2019 10:32 pm IST

Published - October 14, 2019 10:31 pm IST - Tokyo

Tens of thousands of rescuers worked into the night on Monday to find survivors of a powerful typhoon in Japan that killed at least 56 people, as fresh rain threatened to hamper their efforts.

Typhoon Hagibis crashed into the country on Saturday night, unleashing high winds and torrential rain across 36 of the country's 47 prefectures, triggering landslides and catastrophic flooding.

National broadcaster NHK said that 56 people had been killed and 15 were still missing.

“Even now, many people are still unaccounted for in the disaster-hit area,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told an emergency disaster meeting on Monday.

“Units are trying their best to search for and rescue them, working day and night,” Mr. Abe said.

Later in the day, he pledged to “do whatever the country can” for victims and survivors, ordering the Defence Ministry to call up to 1,000 reserve troops to join 31,000 active forces in search operations.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.