International

Constitutional amendments fulfil 99 pc Madhesi demands

Former Uttarakhand Chief Minister Bhagat Singh Koshiyari in this file photo.

Former Uttarakhand Chief Minister Bhagat Singh Koshiyari in this file photo.  

He said that Indo—Nepal relations are in excellent shape and "no matter which political party in India comes in power, all wanted to maintain good friendly relations with Nepal".

Recent amendments to Nepal’s new constitution fulfil 99 per cent demands of the agitating Madhesi parties and would bring peace and stability in the country, former Uttarakhand Chief Minister and senior BJP leader Bhagat Singh Koshiyari said on Saturday.

“India wants to see that peace and political stability is maintained in Nepal and the country moves forward on the path of economic prosperity,” Mr. Koshiyari said, who is visiting Kathmandu to attend the 13th general convention of the Nepali Congress from Thursday onwards.

Describing the recent constitutional amendements as a “positive sign”, Mr. Koshiyari said: “Through the constitution amendments 99 per cent of the demands of the Madhesi people were fulfilled and the remaining 1 percent will also be fulfilled through dialogue and negotiations.”

“Everything will be all right, I am confident that the remaining problems will also be resolved soon,” he said.

He also said that Indo—Nepal relations are in excellent shape and “no matter which political party in India comes in power, all wanted to maintain good friendly relations with Nepal”.

Answering a question regarding the recent blockade on the country’s southern border, he said: “India do not want to cause any inconvenience to Nepalese people and it doesn’t want anything that would harm the people of Nepal.”

He said India wants to collaborate with Nepal in hydro-power sector and is also considering to connect Kathmandu to India through a railway line.

“India should not only connect its railway to Badrinath but it should also connect it to Pashupatinath as well.”

Supporting the 1990 Indo—Nepal peace and friendship treaty, the former chief minister said that those who are talking about changing it have not gone through the provisions of the treaty.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 25, 2020 7:11:50 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/constitutional-amendments-fulfil-99-pc-madhesi-demands/article8317980.ece

Next Story