International

Brazil minister says no plans to cancel Rio Games

An aerial view of the Rio 2016 Velodrome venue at the Olympic Park construction site in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

An aerial view of the Rio 2016 Velodrome venue at the Olympic Park construction site in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  

Brazil is the epicentre of an outbreak of the mosquito-borne Zika virus, which the World Health Organisation has called "an extraordinary event and public health threat."

Brazilian organisers have reiterated they have no intention of cancelling the Rio de Janeiro Olympics because of the outbreak of the Zika virus, with Sports Minister George Hilton saying the topic “is not in discussion.”

“The Brazilian government is fully committed to ensure that the 2016 Rio games take place in an atmosphere of security and tranquility,” Mr. Hilton wrote.

Brazil is the epicentre of an outbreak of the mosquito-borne Zika virus, which the World Health Organisation has called “an extraordinary event and public health threat.”

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach earlier this week said he was “very confident” the games would take place. And Rio organisers have repeatedly said there is no talk of calling off the games.

The Zika virus adds to other problems with South America’s first Olympics, including severe water pollution in Rio’s sailing and rowing venues, and deep cuts of almost 30 percent to keep a $2 billion operating budget in balance.

Only about half of the domestic tickets for the game have been sold, and organisers fear the Zika outbreak could scare off foreign tourists.

“The 2016 Rio games will take place with full attention to the health of the participants,” Mr. Hilton said.

Away from the games, Brazil is experiencing its deepest recession since the 1930s. Inflation is just over 10 percent, the Brazilian currency has lost 30 percent of its value in the last year against the dollar, and President Dilma Rousseff is fighting impeachment charges.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Feb 27, 2020 5:48:34 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/brazil-minister-says-no-plans-to-cancel-rio-games/article8197698.ece

Next Story