International

‘At least 90 killed in fighting in Yemen’s Marib in 24 hours’

A fighter loyal to Yemen's Huthi rebels is pictured at the funeral of fellow combatants in front of the capital Sanaa's al-Saleh mosque, on February 28, 2021.   | Photo Credit: MOHAMMED HUWAIS

Fierce fighting between Yemeni pro-government forces and Iran-backed Houthi rebels has killed at least 90 combatants on both sides in the past 24 hours, military sources said on Saturday.

The Shia rebels launched an offensive last month to seize Marib, the last stronghold in northern Yemen of pro-government forces who are backed by a Saudi-led military coalition.

The clashes in the oil-rich province left 32 dead among government forces and loyalist tribes, while 58 Houthi rebels were killed in coalition air strikes, the sources said.

They said heavy clashes broke out on six fronts as government forces were able to counter attacks by the Houthis who managed to advance only on the Kassara front northwest of Marib city.

The fighting also left dozens of people wounded, the sources added.

The loss of Marib would be a huge blow for the Yemeni government, but would also threaten catastrophe for civilians, including hundreds of thousands of displaced people in desolate camps.

It would also be a major setback for Saudi Arabia, which has been the target of increasingly frequent Houthi missile attacks in recent weeks.

Shrapnel from Houthi drones intercepted by the Saudis on Friday wounded two civilians, including a 10-year-old, in the southwest of the kingdom.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Monday urged the Houthis to halt their offensive in Marib, as he announced $191 million in aid.

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Apr 16, 2021 5:58:16 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/at-least-90-killed-in-fighting-in-yemens-marib-in-24-hours/article34007472.ece

Next Story