International

Air strike kills 42 in south Libya: officials

At least 42 people have been killed and dozens wounded in an air strike on a town in southern Libya, a local official and the UN-recognised government said on Monday.

The Government of National Accord (GNA) accused forces led by military strongman Khalifa Haftar of carrying out the strike on Sunday in a residential district of Morzuk. The raid left “42 dead and more than 60 injured, 30 of them critically,” municipal official Ibrahim Omar said.

The GNA, on its Facebook page, condemned the attack, which it blamed on Haftar’s forces.

Haftar, who seized swathes of southern Libya earlier in the year, has been battling since April to oust pro-GNA forces from the capital Tripoli.

With fighting stalled on the ground after initial advances by Haftar’s forces, the two sides have increasingly taken their fight to the skies with warplanes and drones.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 30, 2020 10:10:25 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/air-strike-kills-42-in-south-libya-officials/article28826993.ece

Next Story