In an updated security message, the United States has warned its citizens that Westerners may be attacked in Bangladesh.
Amid concerns following the killing of an Italian aid worker and a Japanese citizen, the U.S. embassy in Dhaka on Saturday said the terrorist threat remains “real and credible” in the country.
“Security agencies in Bangladesh have taken extraordinary measures to increase security for foreigners, but the terrorist threat remains real and credible.”
The new alarm came on a day when the country’s apex body of garment owners’, the Bangladesh Garments Manufacturers and Exporters Association, said there had been an ‘over reaction’ to the killing of the two foreigners.
The message said: “As advised in previous security messages for U.S. citizens, reliable information suggests that a terrorist attack could occur against Westerners in Bangladesh, including attacks against large gatherings at international hotels.”
The Islamic State has reportedly claimed responsibility for the September 28 and October 3 murders. But the government agencies said they have not found any link of the IS with those murders.
In the updated alert, the embassy strongly encouraged U.S. citizens travelling to or residing in Bangladesh “to take precautions, remain vigilant about their personal security, and be alert to local security developments.”
They are also not permitted to be in most public places and travel on foot, motorcycle, bicycle, rickshaw or other uncovered means on all public thoroughfares and sidewalks. They are also restricted from attending large gatherings, including events at international hotels, unless they have obtained permission from the embassy’s security office.
The police on Sunday claimed that the mastermind behind the killing of Italian Cesare Tavella had been identified. “Now, we are collecting evidence against them,” said Dhaka Metropolitan Police Commissioner Asaduzzaman Mia.