Man suffers electric shock at campaign venue

The victim touched a livewire

A 40-year-old man was injured when he came in contact with a livewire attached to a pole in a bus shelter at the venue of Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami’s election campaign at Kanai near here on Wednesday.

The victim, Shanmugam of Dharmapuri, was immediately rushed to the Villupuram Government Medical College and Hospital at Mundiyambakkam.

His condition is said to be stable.

The police sources said the organisers had erected a temporary stage near a bus shelter in Kanai where Mr. Palaniswami was scheduled to address his election campaign.

The workers had drawn power from a nearby facility and had connected the wire meant for powering focus lights to a pole beneath the bus shelter.

Mr. Shanmugam, who was standing in the bus shelter, touched the pole and suffered an electric shock.

In the impact, he fainted and was thrown to the ground.

The police personnel immediately rushed him to the Villupuram Government Medical College and Hospital for treatment.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Apr 6, 2020 6:33:17 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/puducherry/man-suffers-electric-shock-at-campaign-venue/article29716664.ece

Next Story