Mumbai

Man dies after being sucked into MRI machine at Mumbai hospital

A view of the MRI service facility at the BYL Nair hospital, in Mumbai.  

A 32-year-old man lost his life after he entered an MRI room carrying an oxygen cylinder and was sucked into the MRI machine due to its powerful magnetic field at the BYL Nair hospital in Agripada on Saturday evening. The Agripada police have registered an FIR in connection with the incident.

Police officials said the victim, Rajesh Maru, had accompanied his brother-in-law Harish Solanki to the hospital, as Mr. Solanki's mother was admitted to the hospital. She had been provided an oxygen cylinder to help her breathe, and Mr. Maru was holding it when she was being taken for an MRI scan.

Mr. Solanki, in his complaint, told the police that Mr. Maru stopped at the entrance, knowing that metallic objects are not permitted inside an MRI room. However, according to Mr. Solanki, the ward boy told him it was okay to enter with the cylinder. As soon as he entered the room, he was sucked into the machine along with the cylinder, and got stuck between the machine's frame and the cylinder.

Mr. Maru was pulled out with some difficulty and rushed to the emergency ward, where he was declared dead 10 minutes later.

“An FIR of causing death due to negligence has been registered and further inquiries are under way,” Mumbai Police spokesperson DCP Deepak Deoraj said

Dr. Ramesh Bharmal, dean at the Nair hospital said Resident Doctor Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vittal Chavan and an 'aayah' named Sunita Surve, who have been mentioned in the FIR, have been suspended.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced compensation of ₹five lakh from the CM's Relief Fund for Mr. Maru's family.


Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Oct 16, 2021 10:43:59 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/mumbai/tragedy/article22541934.ece

Next Story