Man’s timely action controls gas leak in Turbhe MIDC

April 27, 2021 01:40 am | Updated 01:43 am IST - Navi Mumbai

A gas leak from a dairy company in Turbhe MIDC on Monday was controlled in time by an Indira Nagar resident.

Around 10 a.m., an 18-year-old girl, Sheetal Chandanshiv, from Indira Nagar fell unconscious after inhaling ammonia while many others suffered from suffocation.

“Shailesh Tayade, who was a former employee of the dairy, knew about the valves. Hence, he rushed to the company and closed the particular valve. Of the 20,000 population in Indira Nagar, around 1,000 felt uneasy but none needed hospitalisation except for the girl,” Mahesh Kotivale, Shiv Sena head of Turbhe, said.

According to fire brigade officials, by the time they reached the leak had stopped after the valve was closed. “The excess pressure had caused a leak in one of the pipelines,” an officer from Vashi fire station said.

Ms. Chandanshiv, who was admitted to Vashi municipal hospital, was discharged by evening.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.