Mumbai

Fire caused by gas leak in Kalwa leaves four injured

Four people from a family sustained burn injuries in a fire caused by a gas leak in their house in Kalwa on Sunday.

While one of the victims, Raghunath Patil, has suffered nearly 62% burns, his children Rohan (22) and Rohini (25) have sustained 5-7% burns. All of them have been admitted to Thane Civil Hospital.

Mr. Patil’s wife, Sampada, suffered very minor injuries and did not require hospitalisation.

According to fire brigade officials, the incident took place around 9.30 a.m. at Mr. Patil’s residence near Datta Mandir in New Shivaji Nagar. The regional disaster management cell and Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) were immediately informed.

“We sent the fire brigade as soon as we got to know. Since the fire was limited to the premises of the victim’s house, we were able to douse it quickly,” said Sandeep Malvi, deputy municipal commissioner, TMC.

The Kalwa police also reached the site, but the fire had been doused by then. According to a police official, it started from the kitchen and spread to the hall and then the rooms.

“The father has suffered major burns. He might be taken to a private hospital in the case he needs surgery,” the official said adding that all the injured are in a stable condition.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Feb 28, 2020 3:24:13 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/mumbai/fire-caused-by-gas-leak-in-kalwa-leaves-four-injured/article28237135.ece

Next Story