ESIC Hospital fire: 2 from construction firm held

Two welders also booked for negligence; probe on to find who else was responsible, say police

Updated - December 03, 2021 10:02 am IST

Published - December 20, 2018 01:14 am IST - Mumbai

Deadly blaze:  Firefighters and local residents rescue the injured at ESIC Hospital on Monday. The fire has claimed nine lives, while several others are in critical condition.

Deadly blaze: Firefighters and local residents rescue the injured at ESIC Hospital on Monday. The fire has claimed nine lives, while several others are in critical condition.

The MIDC police on Wednesday arrested two people in connection with the fire at the ESIC Hospital in Andheri that claimed nine lives on Monday.

 

Police officials said an FIR was registered against four employees of Supreme Constructions, the company that had the contract for the expansion of the hospital building. “We have booked the accused for causing death by negligence and endangering life or personal safety of others along with relevant sections of the Maharashta Fire Security and Safety Act,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone X) Navinchandra Reddy told The Hindu .

The arrested accused are Nilesh Neta, the site supervisor in charge of the project, and his assistant, Nitin Kamble, who was in charge of wiring and electrical work. Two welders, whose alleged negligence caused the fire to break out, have also been named as accused and are expected to be arrested by Wednesday night or Thursday morning, officers said.

“The welding work was being carried out without any fire safety precautions. For now, those who were found to be directly responsible for the fire have been named as accused. Inquiries are under way to find out who else was responsible, including the hospital staff,” a police officer said.

 

The Hindu reached out to Harjeet Singh from Supreme Constructions, whose contact details are mentioned on the firm’s website. However, Mr. Singh disconnected the call on being asked about the arrests, and did not respond to subsequent attempts to contact him via text message or email.

Fresh fire

Meanwhile, a fresh fire was reported on the ESIC Hospital, Marol, premises on Wednesday evening. Fire Brigade officials said the blaze broke out in a meter box near the hospital building and was reported to the Fire Brigade Control Room at 7.54 p.m. A fire tender was rushed to the spot, but the blaze was brought under control by locals by the time it reached the location. The fire was completely extinguished by 8.34 p.m., officials said.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.