10 patients continue to battle for their life

600 gram girl among patients put on ventilator support

Updated - December 03, 2021 10:02 am IST

Published - December 20, 2018 01:21 am IST - Mumbai

A deserted ward in ESIC Hospital in Marol on Wednesday.

A deserted ward in ESIC Hospital in Marol on Wednesday.

 

Ten patients, including a 600 gram pre-term baby girl, who suffered severe smoke inhalation in the fire at ESIC Hospital, Marol, on Monday, are critical and on ventilator support.

 

Seven Hills Hospital in Marol discharged five patients on Wednesday, while 38 patients, including six in the intensive care unit (ICU), and two on ventilator support, remain hospitalised. The civic-run Cooper Hospital has 22 patients injured in the fire, of which eight are in the ICU and one is on ventilator support.

Powai’s Hiranandani Hospital discharged four patients, while one is on ventilator support. Holy Spirit Hospital discharged five patients, including a newborn baby. Of the 38 patients who are still admitted to the hospital, two adults and a baby are on ventilator. “The suffocation they suffered due to the toxic smoke inhalation is too intense,” Sister Sneha, executive director of Holy Spirit Hospital, said. “The 600 g baby girl continues to critical. Her twin brother is doing better,” she said.

Mother asks for baby

Late on Tuesday, Rukmini Yadav, the mother of the two-month-old baby girl who succumbed in the fire, was shifted to the ICU from the ward at Seven Hills Hospital as her condition worsened. Doctors said she was getting extremely breathless and has been asking about her baby continuously. “We have told her the baby is under treatment and is doing fine. Maybe she already senses that something is wrong,” Vakil Jaiswal, a family friend, said. Ms. Yadav’s sister, too, remained admitted in the ICU at Cooper Hospital. Her condition is stable.

 

Sent from Thane

Prachiti Patil (21) is among the critical patients admitted to the civic-run Cooper Hospital and is on ventilator support. An accountant in a private firm, Ms. Patil was in the process of getting admitted to the ESIC Hospital when the fire broke out. “As she lives in Vartak Nagar in Thane, she first went to the Thane ESIC Hospital. However, they referred her to Andheri,” her uncle Ravindra Patil said.

Nurse serious

Arun Pilanku, a 40-year-old male nurse, has a severe head injury, including a facial fracture, along with smoke inhalation. Doctors said he also had a concussion. Among the ESIC Hospital staff members who were injured, Mr. Pilanku has suffered very serious injuries. His colleague said Mr. Pilanku was trying to come down with the help of a cloth or rope, but slipped and fell on the dome-like roof in the centre.

Could not move father

Fifty-two-year-old Vivek Kadam and his younger brother Rajkumar (42) were at the ESIC Hospital to attend to their father, Baburao (84), who was paralysed on the right side after a stroke. As the smoke filled the ward, the brothers couldn’t move their father from the bed. “We soaked some bedsheets with water and covered his face,” Vivek said. They broke the ward’s window and came down with the help of a sheet, alerting fire officials to save their father. Baburao is admitted to Seven Hills Hospital.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.