Kozhikode

S.M. Street fire spread from faulty inverter: report

A spark from a faulty inverter caused the blazing inferno at the Sweetmeat Street (S.M. Street) in the city last month, says a report prepared by the Revenue Department.

The team, led by Sub-Collector Himanshu Kumar Rai took expert opinion from the Electrical Inspectorate, attached to the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB), before coming to this conclusion.

The report was handed over to District Collector N. Prasanth, who, in turn submitted it to the State government.

At least five shops were completely destroyed and many damaged in the fire which broke out at 10.30 p.m. on May 13. The government ordered a Magisterial inquiry into the incident.

Action recommended

The report recommended immediate measures such as revamping and modernising the electrification system at S.M. Street.

The unauthorised constructions at the street had hindered the rescue operations. Such accidents could recur in future if precautionary steps were not taken, it said.

The fire started from a textile shop called Beauty Stores, rented out by Kerala Vyapari Vyavasayi Ekopana Samithi State president T. Nasirudeen, near the Koyenco Bazaar, and it spread to neighbouring shops behind the Hanuman Swami temple.

A preliminary report of the Electrical Inspectorate had ruled out the possibility of short circuit.

A special team of the police, led by Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), South, A.J. Babu had not been able to get a clear picture of this aspect. The Fire and Rescue Services had concluded that a short circuit could not have triggered the fire.

Revenue team was headed by

Sub-Collector

District Collector hands over report to government


Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Sep 21, 2022 12:55:43 am | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/kozhikode/sm-street-fire-spread-from-faulty-inverter-report/article7344632.ece