Two persons die in Kancheepuram

Tension prevailed in Kancheepuram on Wednesday afternoon after an autorickshaw driver ended his life by immolating himself in broad daylight following an argument with a policeman. In another incident, a 20-year-old youth from Andhra Pradesh, who came to visit Athi Varadar, died in a suspicious manner.

The police had made some traffic diversions and restricted movement of heavy vehicles in Kancheepuram on account of Athi Varadar festival. Permits were provided for local vehicles and autorickshaw movement was not restricted inside the town for the benefit of the visitors.

On Wednesday, Kumar, a share autorickshaw driver, was stopped at a check post in Karukupettai, between Wallajahbad and Kancheepuram, by a police officer. An argument broke out between the two. Following this, Kumar set himself afire and ended his life.

His body was taken to the hospital for post mortem. “We have not restricted the plying of autorickshaws inside the town. We are investigating the reason behind him taking the extreme step,” said a senior police officer.

Assistance for overcoming suicidal thoughts is available on the State’s health helpline 104 and Sneha’s suicide prevention helpline 044-24640050.

Suspicious death

Meanwhile, Sakthi Akash, 20, a third-year college student from Rajamundry, became breathless inside the Devarajaswamy temple in Kancheepuram and died at the hospital on Wednesday. While his mother claimed he was assaulted by a woman sub-inspector for clicking pictures inside the temple, senior police officers said that he died of heart attack.

Sakthi Akash and his family had come to the town, a few days ago. After having darshan of Athi Varadar, they proceeded to the main temple and he reportedly clicked a few pictures of the main deity.

According to a senior police officer, the priest saw this and asked a woman sub-inspector on duty to take action.

“She took his phone and deleted the pictures and he left the place. However, he complained of breathlessness and was shifted to the medical camp where he was conscious and speaking,” claimed a senior police officer.

Subsequently, he was rushed to the hospital where he was declared dead. However, the victim’s mother Sathya Nageshwari, in an interview to a television channel, claimed that her son fainted after he was assaulted by the police officer.

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jan 19, 2021 9:12:35 AM |

Next Story